[plug] Software raid issue - moving a raid set to a new system

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:06:26 WST 2007

Hi Guys,

I've got a mirrored device md0 which on system A is sda1 + sdb1, and
the OS disk is hda1,2,5

When I move that mirror set to system B (with a SCSI OS disk) I was
hoping that placing the drives as sdb and sdc would be autodetected.

The result was the detection of sdb1(system A's sda1) as half the
mirror, and not detecting the other half in sdc1.

I've tried building the array using symlinks, but the persistent
superblock uses the device name /dev/sdx not the symlink name as part
of the identifier.

Anyone have a solution that will allow the transport of a mirrored
disk set between these systems (without requiring a rebuild?)

Thanks

Carl Gherardi