[plug] Open Source WA Symposium, 4th Oct

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Wed Oct 3 12:50:53 WST 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Adrian Woodley wrote:

> Not sure how this one slipped under the radar, but I heard about it over the
> weekend (at a burn in Chidlow, of all places).
>
> http://wasp.uwa.edu.au/home/news (scroll down to bottom of page)
>
> excerpt:
>
> ====

> WASP in partnership with the Western Australian Department of Industry and
> Resources are proud to announce the first Open Source WA Symposium. This
> event has two main aims. Firstly to help educate Western Australian business
> and Government about Open Source and secondly to gather feedback from the
> business and Government community about usage and opinions of Open Source in
> WA. Top speakers from right across Australia will be there representing a
> host of case studies, industry opinions and expert analysis of Open Source.
>
> Date: 4 October 2007
>
> Location: Hyatt Regency, Perth.
>
> If you would like further information about the event, please contact
> Anna-Lee Mason on (08) 6488 8740 or via email, annalee at wasp.uwa.edu.au.
>
> We hope to see you there!
>
> ====
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adrian

That'd be right - trying to suppress open source computing, by keeping
events like this, secret.

"Secret government business".

The question has to be asked - why didn't the WA DIR, and the WASP, each
approach SLPWA (if it sill exists - email to it is not acknowledged) and
PLUG and Linux Australia, for input and involvement?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."