[plug] finding a midland person who can advise me re printers compatible with Linux and Ubuntu 7.4

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:14:46 WST 2007

Hi Diana,

Hey, 60s is not so old - the only excuse you have is that you got to
your 40s before desktop PCs became common, but then there was always
electric typewriters in your earlier years  :-)

Anyway, welcome to linux.

Your concern is shared by many new users so there are heaps of resources
on the web to help. One starting point is here where you an check on
compatibility for a whole lot of hardware:

http://www.linux-drivers.org/

Some links there are better than others and that list may seem
overwhelming, but persevere. It also includes a link to scanner
compatibility. On that topic, the best (imho) linux scanner application
is xsane - and the best list see if your intended scanner is compatible
is here:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

I have saved myself money by rejecting purchase of a scanner not on
their list. Similarly, I have a reasonably expensive scanner from my
windows days that will just NOT work with linux, sadly.

In very general terms, _most_ things work with linux. Exceptions are the
VERY unusual items, the VERY new, and where manufacturers hide the
details of the inner workings of their hardware.

*******
Probably the easiest thing to do is google your intended purchase, with
manufacturer and model number, to see compatibility. Eg., search on "HP
laserjet 2200 linux compatibility", or some such.
*******

Final words of advice with an environmental slant:
You and the planet are better off avoiding cheap inkjet printers and
all-in-one devices. I would add to that list that laser printers have
become very cheap in recent times and are also to be avoided. These
cheap items fulfil the adage "no such thing as a free lunch". Cheap
upfront, they are very expensive to buy ink and parts for and are
ruining the world with so much throw-away consumerism that the
manufacturers take no responsibility for.

My opinion is that you and the world are better off buying
newly-secondhand good quality gear built for small office use (eg., HP
and the other big manufacturers). You can chase these off ebay if you
are an avid auction hound and do your research before bidding, or got a
second hand shop locally.

HTH.

Post any further queries to the list and not to me personally.

Gavin