[plug] Ethernet Bonding

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Thu Oct 18 15:50:39 WST 2007

Only if you're doing link aggregation (which I'm not), not
active-standby (which I am).

With active-standby, the switch(es) should only see traffic from one
interface (and therefore one mac-address). If the primary link fails,
traffic will start emanating from the standby interface. Regardless of
whether the mac-address is the same (no arp needed, but switch(es) have
to re-learn mac/switchport relationship) or different (switch should
already know mac-address of standby, but hosts will need to re-arp for
mac to IP relationship) there is no special config needed on the switch(es).

The problem I'm looking to avoid the problems caused by traffic leaving
a standby interface with a source mac-address of the bond interface.
This will cause the switch to (incorrectly) associate that mac-address
with the standby interface / switchport.

Adrian