[plug] trying to share internet - seems hopeless

Coral and Ben cobel at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 22 17:20:31 WST 2007

Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> On 10/22/07, Coral and Ben <cobel at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, how do I modify the variables at the top of the iptables script - I
>> dont even know how to find it?
>>

> Hmm ok I thought if you were mucking around with kernels that this
> would make more sense.. perhaps we can tackle some other things first
> in that case (read on..)
>

>> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> Your PATA devices are bundled under the libata layer (faster, more
> efficient, newer drivers though) and if they don't work can you post
> more info on what devices, which driver they use (the libata or IDE
> module name is fine) so we can probe this. Otherwise, there is a
> kernel parameter that can be supplied also to use the older IDE layer
> in favour of libata.
>
> However with your custom kernel why not just use the layers you wish?

I mostly dont understand that, the ubuntu forums suggested no better
fixes for the ide device issues than installing a different kernel,
which I did with dpkg, i didnt do any compiling or anything, I dont know
if it really counts as a 'custom kernel' or maybe just an alternate kernel?

>  and I have bigpond wireless

> How did you set this thing up? Is it going from your desktop over the
> modem via pppoa (meaning are you using rp-pppoe or something) to get
> this going? If so, then this is fine, the device doesn't exist when no
> connection is active..

I set it up by this method:
http://quozl.netrek.org/bp3-usb/
just using the usbserial module and kppp to dial it

> Ok well if you can ping and reach each computer via the network then
> the setup is to give them the telstra DNS and set up your computer
> with the guide I mentioned earlier and then the other computers will
> use your box as their gateway.

as yet I have not been able to ping anything on the lan, i dont know how
to make my linux pc the access point, or initiate an ad-hoc arrangement
- i follow various how-to's and i get nowhere

> I'd say nearly all Wireless modems are Linux based!

> What is the default gateway set to in System/Admin/Network? Sounds
> like the eth0 has the configuration to establish itself as the default
> gateway after it comes up. You can fix this up from the command line
> with this:
>
> # route del default gw <old gateway IP>
> # route add default gw <new proper gateway IP>

that statement turned out not to be entirely true, if I redial the modem
after I activate eth0 ppp0 becomes the default gw again