[plug] determining network usage by ip-address

David Buddrige dbuddrige at bigpond.com
Sun Sep 2 17:28:45 WST 2007

hi all,

I own the house where I live, but since I had several spare bedrooms I
thought I'd rent one out to a mate of mine.  I have a broadband internet
connection and so to allow my mate also to use the internet, I cranked
up squid on my personal computer [running Fedora Core] and connected my
mate's computer to my network hub, so now he is able to browse the net
using my machine as a proxy - my machine has its own direct internet
connection so I'm effectively sharing it with him.

However, I do have a limited [1GB] monthly download limit and it would
be handy to see how much each of us uses it.  I have set up my own
web-browser to also connect via squid [on the same machine] - my
question is this:

Is there any way to get squid to tell me how much network traffic is
going through squid based on individual ip addresses ?

thanks

David.