[plug] Business Grade ADSL Recommendation

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Tue Sep 4 08:35:50 WST 2007

Adam,

I was about to say the same :-)  As you said, if you need 100% uptime on
your link you'd better be sure you also have the hardware setup to
connect to it, with power backup using UPS, generator, backup generator
etc.). Otherwise move your gear to a colo... and then make sure it's a
damn good one with network admins that know what they're doing and their
generator doesn't die the first time it's really needed.

At a startup I ran in San Francisco we had all our gear in a telco-grade
colo which looked fantastic and had great techies with whom we got on
very well.  Nonetheless, our network went out when one of their routers
was screwed by a config change done in their Colorado headquarters, and
the power went out because the generator failed to start when the power
went out (despite being tested monthly.)

All that for $US1500 a month... 100%?  No such thing...

P.