[plug] sensors

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 17 21:45:20 WST 2007

"Adam Hewitt" <ahewitt at skybridge.com.au> wrote:

>I have a project on the table for work that requires a temperature
>sensor and rack tamper sensor which we can connect to a linux
>server which will alarm (send an email to the appropriate help desk
>and flag a warning on our internal NMS). Does anyone have any
>recommendations? Ideally we would like to get some kind of digital
>input card that can take a number of different type of sensors in
>case the customer wants to add anything else in the future.

Some parallel port hacking should suffice to detecting digital
inputs. ISTR some thermometers that interface with serial ports.

Some of the EPIA Mini-ITX mainboards have digital inputs on-board.

Generic I/O cards are comparatively expensive.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
 X   against HTML mail     | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
/ \  and postings          | the ranks of the insane.  -- Marcus Aurelius