[plug] Need to learn remote/monitoring snmp / wmi in a hurry!

Mark Slatem slatemfam at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 18 10:31:40 WST 2007

Hi all.

The company I work for wants me to setup some sort of remote monitoring
system to keep an eye on remote servers at our clients. I have setup
Zenoss 2.06 on a test server and I am very happy with its capabilities,
but now comes the time where I will have to tinker under the hood and
get my hands dirty with customizations etc. What I currently know about
snmp / wmi is extremely lacking and wanted advice and recommendations on
the best way to go about learning snmp etc. Do I need to learn about
making my own MIBS or are there  resource s where I could purchase ready
made MIBS for certain device types etc? Should I favour wmi collection
over snmp or vica versa. Which is better for remote collection down slow
wan links? Is this a major endeavour and should I try and get  3rd party
assistance?

Thanks In Advance

Mark