[plug] sensors

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Sep 20 08:31:14 WST 2007

"Enterprise" is "can someone else be blamed if it breaks", and
"will a company be around to provide support, rather than $PERSON", not
really "will stuff break?" and not even "is it high quality?"

Only sales men and middle management try the "it won't ever
break. ever."

Its all about how you present it. :)

Adrian

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007, Patrick Coleman wrote:
> On 9/20/07, Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
> > Its easy stuff, really.
>
> but wasn't Adam looking for something more 'enterprise'? :) I mean,
> knocking a board up to do this really wouldn't be that hard, which is
> why it seems strange noone sells something cheap that does this.
>
> If you want to make it even cheaper, just have one microcontroller
> doing one temp device, say a DS18S20 and write the temp to RS232 once
> a second, then have all the logic on the computer.
>
> In fact, I believe there's software out there to link up a DS18S20
> directly to the serial port (see
> http://martybugs.net/electronics/tempsensor), which makes it even
> simpler.
>
> -Patrick

- $25/pm entry-level bandwidth-capped VPSes available in WA -