[plug] Fedora 7 vs Windows Longhorn Server 2008 Beta 3

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Sep 22 20:06:56 WST 2007

On 22 Sep 2007 at 18:41, Chris Caston wrote:

> Don't draw that conclusion until you try the final product. Remember you
are
> stil working with a beta.

Chris, that may be a fair comment, but I am talking about basic hardware
compatibility - which is nothing new or exciting - and yet Windows Server
2008 doesn't have it - regardless of whether it is beta or not.

There are still many hardware incompatibilities with Vista and these are
not being addressed by Microsoft as well as many hardware vendors -
consequently they expect everybody  to just go out and buy new hardware to
suit a new OS.

Yet there are many new hardware options that do not have adequate support.

Besides the outrageous cost of changing to a new version of an OS that is
little more than a service pack upgrade with a few GUI enhancements (if I
can call it that).

Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 could well be the best things that
ever happened to Linux in the last twelve months.

Admittedly my comparison was somewhat simplistic, but in reality I ended up
with a dual boot system where everything in Fedora 7 was detected and
configured and/ or installed and updated without error or incident as
compared to Windows Server 2008 - where basic hardware was not detected
and/or  configured in any usable way.

As well, there is a considerable bonus, my bank account is not missing
several hundreds of valuable dollars, which can be invested in other areas
of my life.

The results speak for themselves, regardless on my opinions.

Regards Arie