[plug] migrating to Linux.

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 23 09:50:13 WST 2007

Peter Wright <pete at flooble.net> wrote:
>On 22/09 13:30:33, Alex Polglaze wrote:
>> Is there a way to covert existing Lotus 123 and Wordpro files in the
>> respective formats to .xls and .doc format so that they can be
>> loaded into Open Office?
>>
>> Unfortunately, OO still does not have a conversion from the Lotus format.

>Nah, looks like nothing does. I suspect (a) Lotus never bothered to
>open their formats, and (b) not enough people used it for anyone to be
>bothered reverse-engineering those formats and writing a converter.

Hardly the case it seems
  <http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805296>
a bit more here
  <http://www.linuxworld.com.au/pp.php?id=1501549960&fp=16&fpid=0>

>> If there is no short way, it means manually opening 23 years worth of
>> existing files one at a time and "SAVE AS" into the the MS format

>As one of the other followups suggested, I reckon the best approach
>*would* be to use Lotus' "export-to-Excel/Word" functionality, but
>don't do it manually.

Such are the issues with saving critical data in closed formats.

[snip]
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
 X   against HTML mail     | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
/ \  and postings          | the ranks of the insane.  -- Marcus Aurelius