[plug] Fedora 7 vs Windows Longhorn Server 2008 Beta 3

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Sep 24 02:25:44 WST 2007

On 24 Sep 2007 at 1:20, Bret Busby wrote a lot about his Debian 4.0 install :

Thanks for that Bret.

Debian is "good stuff" but I have always liked Redhat (Fedora), mind you
Ubuntu is also good, as is Mandriva and Gentoo and all the other distros.

But I have solved my problems.

I got hold of a good copy of the Fedora 7 iso image, burned a DVD and
installed Fedora 7 on my workstation.

I got the fedora iso image from the September edition of APC magazine.

The installer was very smooth and quite slick.

There was no need to pass any parameters to the kernel  when booting the
DVD.

Just boot to the menu and hit "Enter".

45 minutes later all was well and I had logged on to my new Fedora desktop.

The installation was flawless and as before all hardware was detected and
configured, and all software (1025 packages) has been installed and 204
packages updated.

I must admit I have quite a few things to get used with this install.

LVM2 is the default.

The hard drives are detected as sda, sdb instead of hda and hdd.

The scsi driver for installer doesn't like more than 15 partitions on one
drive.

NOTE:

My Windows LongHorn Server Beta 3 install got in the way of fdisk and has
since, not been seen.

Regards Arie