[plug] Linksys WMP54G PCI card

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 24 11:35:19 WST 2007

---- Original Message ----
From: tomasz89 at gmail.com
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Linksys WMP54G PCI card
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:33:15 +0800

>On 9/24/07, Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Has anyone got a Linksys WMP54G PCI, or other RaLink RT2561/RT61
>> based card working?  If so, how?
>>
>> I've tried the RaLink driver.  When I modprobe it I get an unknown
>> symbol or parameter error.
>> Serialmonkey's version won't build.  I have not tried ndiswrapper
>and
>> the Windows driver because all that I've read indicates it won't
>> work...
>>
>> The card uses the RaLink RT2561/RT61 chipset.  lspci -n gives its
>id
>> as 1814:0301.
>> I have a recently installed Fedora 7 system, and have tried with
>the
>> default kernel (2.6.21-1.3194.fc7), 2.6.22.5-76.fc7, and 2.6.22.6,
>> all with the same results.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated.
>>
>> TIA
>> Jim
>>

>I managed to get the USB version of such a device working, some time
>ago.. Unknown symbol could be dependencies missing from the modprobe
>(?)
>
>Can you give us more info from the build of the driver, and dmesg on
>the modprobe?
>
>Tomasz

When I looked in dmesg and messages I did not see anything relevant.
Perhaps I did not look far enough back.
I did use Google this time and found a reference to the missing
symbol, pci_module_init, in 2.6.17.  It gave the location of the
definition and the locations in all the files in that release where
it was used.

I compared the source for matching files in 2.6.17 and 2.6.22.6 and
found that the symbol had been changed from pci_module_init to
pci_register_driver.  I made the change in
IS_Linux_STA_6x_D_1.1.1.0/Module/rtmp_main.c and presto-chango, no
more problem.  modprobe rt61 worked.

Now to install the card and all the associated stuff, like
wpa_supplicant, firmware, etc.
Again.

Jim