[plug] Samba performance quirk

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 30 06:36:03 WST 2007

>The problem is this: from windows vm vwinX, read/write to the samba
>share on ubuntu host ubuX (ie. the same physical system) is very very
>
>slow, as in almost non-existent.  I can see the directory and the
>files,
>but trying to read or write files times out or otherwise fails.
>Accessing the share on any of the other systems is very fast, ie.
>behaves normally.  Accessing the samba share on host X from any OTHER
>
>windows VM also works fine.  The behaviour is the same on all 20
>computers - accessing any other system is fine, accessing the local
>ubuntu host breaks.
>
>Any suggestions?

I suspect that while you have to OSs available at the same time, they
are not running at the same time.  In order to switch from one to the
other, hardware context (registers, etc) may need to be swapped out.
If this is the case, it's probably happening for every read from one
OS and every write to the other.

My 2c
Jim