[plug] mounting ext3 partition image

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 1 11:11:48 WST 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:04 am, tim.bowden at westnet.com.au wrote:
> I'm having a little trouble mounting an image of an ext3
> patition.  I created it on my laptop, saving it on my desktop
> using:
> dd conv=sync,noerror bs=64k if=/dev/sda2 |gzip |nc
> 192.168.211.101 1010
> Output:
> 639964+1 records in
> 639965+0 records out
> 41940746240 bytes (42GB) copied, 4123.99 seconds, 10.2 MB/s
>
> and on the desktop:
> nc -l -p 1010 |zcat | dd conv=sync,noerror bs=64k of=./sda2.img
[snip errors]

I suspect you shouldn't be using the "sync" conversion option.

"info coreutils dd" said this:
    `sync'
        Pad every input block to size of `ibs' with trailing zero
        bytes.  When used with `block' or `unblock', pad with spaces
        instead of zero bytes.

Since you're not reading from a tape, I suspect that only short
reads would result in this padding being done.  Therefore the
problem is almost certainly happening in the post-zcat part of the
second pipe.

Also, `noerror' might be more trouble than it is worth.

--
Alastair Irvine, Warpspace IT <http://www.warpspace.net/>
Business enquiries: 1300 881744 or guru at warpspace.net
[Linux Counter user #404151; OpenDocument Format Alliance member]