[plug] printer won't restart

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 1 12:44:42 WST 2008

Hello Richard - long time no chat :-(

At 05:32 PM 26/03/2008, Richard Yellin wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:13:31 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko <tomasz89 at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Richard Yellin
>><rhyellin at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>>>Hi
>>>  This is a repost as I got no replies.  I am stuck and don't know how to
>>>  fix this and get my printer going.

<snip>

>Thanks Tomasz.  My distro is Rsdhat 9 and the printer connection is
>parellel to parellel.
>Your reply made me think back to basics and I checked the cords behind the
>computer and do I feel stupid; the printer parellel cable had fallen away
>and there was no connction to the computer.
>However the problem remains after I reconnected the cable and rebooted.
>Firstly, kuzzu didn't start up and the CUPS test page didn't start either.

I too used RH (but FC3 or FC4 IIRC) on an HP 5652 parallel connected
printer several years ago.   The one annoying feature I found was that it
was sensitive to the power-on sequence.   If the PC was powered on before
the printer, the printer would fail to be seen by CUPS.    Perhaps not
surprisingly since parallel connections are generally not as "hot
pluggable" as USB.

So maybe power off the PC, power on the printer then after the printer has
done its self checks and settled down, turn on the PC.

Hmmm... that could be another option :-)   The 5652 has USB so have you
tried a USB connection, I wonder?

>Also, how do I remove the printer through the GUI?

I think that Tomasz is referring to the CUPS GUI.   Point a web browser to
http://127.0.0.1:631 to view CUPS administration.   You should then be able
to delete the HP printer and start again.

>Secondly, when I do "# service cups status" to see if cupsd is running or
>not, I get 'bash: service: command not found"
>and I can't proceed from there.

Does http://127.0.0.1:631/admin/log/error_log show anything useful?
Or       ps -A | grep cups        just to make sure the cupsd service is
actually running :-)

>I also get "$ or # lpc" and "bash: lpc: command not found" and "$ or #lpr"
>gives "bash : lpr: command not found"
>But "$ or # lpq" works OK.
>Can anyone explain this.

Broken during an update perhaps?   If you do a locate for them, are they
found?   Alternatively what results from a "which lpr" - on a Debian Etch
system this gives "/usr/bin/lpr"

HTH,
Denis