[plug] Re: new kernels don't like scsi controller

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Tue Apr 1 18:02:33 WST 2008

I remember having several similar issues with RAID cards a while back.
In the end I discovered that Mandriva's install disks seemed to be the
most forgiving for an HP server.

In other instances I have had cards play badly with various
motherboards.  In particular some cards seem very slot-position
dependent or unhappy with other cards installed at all! In such cases I
have found upgrading the BIOS on the RAID/SATA etc. card in question
works wonders.  Most recent of these was a SATA card that hated my HDTV
tuner card and/or some motherboards. It would work better, though not
reliably in some slots... sigh. After much searching a new BIOS forcibly
flashed made it play nice :-)

You're on the right path re persistent storage names.  I also find that
using UUID's for both software RAID devices in mdadm.conf and filesystem
partitions in /etc/fstab gets around much heartache when you forget
which sata/scsi positions you used on setup :-)

P.