[plug] RAID Setup

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 22:14:38 WST 2008

Personally I like mirroring, simpler and faster than RAID 5. Striping
gives speed, depending on how it's done and what you do. I also agree
with you with doubling the configuration, eliminating the single point
of failure if connected to 2 different controllers, although then the
single point of failure becomes the computer they are connected to.

The main problem in using ATA (unless things have changed over the last
couple of years) is that ATA bus doesn't allow disconnection (unlike
the SCSI bus and I think now SATA). To achieve performance with ATA
drive, you need as many ATA buses as you can get to get a bunch of
drives active at the same time.

Fred