[plug] debian etch + vsftpd does not chroot jail users

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 18 09:56:38 WST 2008

At 09:14 AM 18/04/2008, Richard Meyer wrote:

>On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 09:10 +0800, Denis Brown wrote:

<snip>

>Close your ssh port and use ftp from your windows box - that should give
>you an idea whether it's working as advertised or not.
>
>RM

Penny finally dropped thanks to several replies :-)

I had created "ftpuser" rather than "ftpsecure" and as a result it
prevented vsftpd from correctly gaoling any users.   Now it works as
advertised.   Both from a Win ftp.exe client as well as from FireFox.

When using psftp.exe however the "ftp" process is bypassing vsftpd and (as
I think Richard pointed out) using ssh.

So there remains significant appeal in plash and it lingers on the to-do list.

Thanks to all who replied,
Denis