[plug] Ubuntu on older 8.04 on older machines

Peter Taekema demo9 at gswd.com
Sun Aug 3 19:13:46 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 17:36 +0800, Kai wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> How are we all ? enjoying the cold, windy days down in Perth, thankfully
> I"m still at home, in Broome, soaking up the sun and enjoying the warmth
> before I come back for my final stage of initial training.

You think Perth is cold & windy...?  you ought to try Katanning!!!!

> Anyway, back on topic though, I'm trying to install some old machines
> here with Ubuntu 8.04, they're PIII 600 with 128 megs of RAM... so far I
> get as far as the "Install" screen which lets you select the items you
> want to install and all that, but, to get that far takes a good hour...

As others have said, the alternate version is the go if you want Ubuntu
but...

> Is there a text only mode or something which I haven't figured out, for
> a laugh I tried installing XP ont he same machines and it goes on with
> an hour, drivers included. I want to get one of these machines installed
> with Ubuntu before Tuesday, that's when I go back to Perth.
>
> If Ubuntu isn't recommended for older machines I'm all ears for any
> feedback.

If it was me (installing on an older machine), I'd be using Damn Small
Linux (DSL).  DSL is only a 48MB download, is built on knoppix... and
therefore debian (same as ubuntu) and runs the XFCE window manager...

It's easy to extend once installed but comes pre-packaged with some
pretty neat apps suitable for older machines.

And at less than 50MB its a quick download and even quicker to install.

Link:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Cheers,
Peter