[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Mathieu Petit-Clair mathieu.petitclair at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 17:59:26 WST 2008

Definitive guide: http://www.linux-laptop.net/

> These are the things I need on this laptop:
> 1- big enough hard drive to have both linux and windows
> 2- keyboard with a number pad at the right (if possible)
> 3- DVD player and cd burner
> 4- wireless internet
> 5- I also need a stress-free installation process - I have
> had several attempts of installing linux and not many
> successes

As far as my experience go, with laptop, you often get what you pay for.
If you can, bring a (Ubuntu) live cd with you to the shop and try it..
you'll get a rough idea if wireless, video and sound are working as they
should.

I've got a personal preference for Compaq, as I've had a trusty Presario
for the last five years. Had to fight a bit to get the wifi working at
first (a few weeks...), but everything as been working fine since then.
YMMV.

Mat