[plug] Which brand of laptop?

Blake Munro blake.munro at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:48:21 WST 2008

Hi w0018749,

There are many laptops that Ubuntu will run very nicely with. I run Ubuntu
on two laptops, both my personal and work machine.

Here's some info:

*Personal Laptop*
Toshiba A100.
Centrino chip, 2gb RAM, 100gb HDD, Intel wireless, Marvin gigabit NIC,
Nvidia 6600 GO graphics card

*Work laptop*
Dell Latitude D830
4gb RAM, Intel Mobile CPU, Intel Wireless, Nvidia Quadro 140M, 160gb SATA
hdd, Intel gitabit NIC, etc

I'm sure that a bit of googling wont prove wrong when looking for a new
laptop. For example if you decide to go down the path of a brand name (HP,
Dell, Lenovo) etc, there are many a guides available on the net and
experiences that people have had.

The best idea I can give you is focus on a model you are interested in, then
google it. You will be surprised.

Cheers
Blake

2008/8/4 Mike Holland <michael.holland at gmail.com>

> w0018749 wrote:
>
>> I am buying a new laptop and I want to know: What brand of
>> computers are the best?
>>

> You should know that already. Thinkpad :-)
> The R52 is a good computer, and should be easy to upgrade.
>
> But maybe thats not yours? It would have had a bigger HDD originally.
> See: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R52
> If you are running VMware, then 2GB is nice.
> Its easy to put in a new PATA 2.5" disk.
>
>  2- keyboard with a number pad at the right (if possible)
>>

> Use an external USB keyboard. You can get one that just a numeric pad.
>
>  3- DVD player and cd burner
>> 4- wireless internet
>>

> Are you missing either of those?
>
>  5- I also need a stress-free installation process -
>>

> You can be confident of that with Ubuntu on a thinkpad.

Regards,

Blake Munro
+61 8 6363 5680
blake.munro at gmail.com