[plug] opensource.wa.gov.au WTF?!

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Mon Aug 11 11:24:52 WST 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Robby Cribbes <Robby at cribbes.com> wrote:
>> Hey Guys,

<snip>

>> Anywho, the main reason for my post, is recently I've tried accessing the
>> http://www.opensource.wa.gov.au site, only to be met with a timeout. Ok, not
>> a problem, so I Google it for the cache. Then I find something mentioning
>> greg34, and free software downloads. If I Keep looking I find ads for "free
>> MP3's" and "hot mommas in stockings" or something to that affect. But no
>> website itself. And I can't find anything else in relation Linux, and Perth,
>> apart from basically PLUG.
>>
>> I've dealt with Phil @OSWA a few times, and often would be the subject of
>> questions I would not dare actually post to a mailing list, as I do wish to
>> have a career at some point. Usually to be bet nicely with a full
>> explanation of why I'm wrong, and the actual theory behind it.
>>
>> So does anyone know what's going on with this? Is there another group coming
>> into existence, which I haven't heard about? Or are we basically on our own
>> in this? (Apart from resources already able to be used here in Perth. Albeit
>> without support from the government?)
>>

> This same question was asked not long ago. OSWA was closed down some
> time ago. Most of the people however on this list will be your best
> avenue to Linux and other OSS solutions...
>
> Regards,
> Tomasz

Now here's a thought.....

We are now in the dreaded state election mode, with polticians being
subject to lobbying....

How about some activists asking, as publicly as possible, what the
major parties intend to do about overturning the abandonment of the IT
industry in WA by the state governemnt, and the possibility of reviving
government funding of non-proprietary IT entities in WA, such as Open
Source WA, and the Software Enginering Association of WA, both of which
were important to developing and encouraging the IT industry in WA?

Hmmm.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale