[plug] problem with apt-get

Peter Wright pete at flooble.net
Thu Aug 14 16:10:43 WST 2008

Hi David,

On 14/08 15:44:49, David Buddrige wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 15:36 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> > Name or service not known -- sounds like a DNS or possible gateway
> > issue if your DNS server is outside of your network scope.
>
> The proxy I am using does appear to be working - it just fails the
> configuration step when setting up the packages.
[ snip ]

The snippet you showed seemed to indicate that *apt* was using your
web proxy, but the sub-programs running as part of the configuration
phase may not be.

Try running 'cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/proxy' at the prompt - does it
returns a line starting with "Acquire::http::proxy" and then has your
proxy info? If so, that confirms that apt is configured to use your
proxy.

But probably the package's post-install script is trying to use wget
or curl to grab the font files from Sourceforge - and wget doesn't
have access to apt's proxy information.

Try running this from the same command prompt:

  wget http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe

Assuming it fails, try setting the http_proxy environment variable,
probably to something like this:

  export http_proxy=http://proxyuser:proxypassword@proxyhost:proxyport/

If your proxy doesn't require authentication, then just the host and
port bit should be enough, eg.  http://proxy:8080/

Then try the above wget again. Assuming it works, you should be fine,
just do something like:

  apt-get install -f

...and, at least in theory, everything should work correctly.

Pete.
--
"But now I've taken my leave of that whole sick, navel-gazing mess we
called the software industry. Now I'm in a more honest line of work: