[plug] Solved: Debian upgrade udev_0.114-2 -> udev_0.125-5 devfs error

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 23:44:59 WST 2008

Hi All,

Solved my problem:

Here is the solution for the archive.

From a working but only half upgraded system (see all the notes
below...)

mv /etc/udev/rules.d/devfs.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/devfs.rules.old
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/compat-full.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/compat-full.rules.old
ln -s /etc/udev/udev.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules

reboot the system - system mostly boots but login does not come up,
instead a message

INIT: ID"X" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Where X is 1..6

SSH to the box, (still working) finish upgrade:

apt-get dist-upgrade

Wait for it to finish.

Reboot.

System reboots, login prompt came up fine!

Thanks and Regards,

--

Adam Davin
Byteme IT Services