[plug] Home Server LVM/RAID stuff

Marcos Raul Carot Collins marcos.carot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 17:34:53 WST 2008

Hi Trevor!

I have no raid on lvm or lvm on raid, but I have both technologies in use.

Regarding RAID1 via software, you can RAID whatever you want, no need to raid
the whole disk. Just have 2 partitions of the same size in 2 different HDs
and make a RAID1 of that partitions.

If I had to choose, I would do LVM and on top of that the RAID1 if just
RAIDing 1 partiton but would do the RAID1 and on top of that the LVM if
RAIDing the whole disks.

LVM is so cool. You only understand how cool it is when you run out of space
and you don't have LVM :P

Also, LVM is quite easy to setup (and some distros offer it at install time,
such as Debian, which also offers RAID setup at install time).

For LVM just follow http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/commontask.html which has
the following topics:

11.1. Initializing disks or disk partitions
11.2. Creating a volume group
11.3. Activating a volume group
11.4. Removing a volume group
11.5. Adding physical volumes to a volume group
11.6. Removing physical volumes from a volume group
11.7. Creating a logical volume
11.8. Removing a logical volume
11.9. Extending a logical volume
11.10. Reducing a logical volume
11.11. Migrating data off of a physical volume

All the rest of the how to is mostly theory (is good reading, but you don't
absolutely need it to implement LVM).

If you need any help, you know I work at about 200m from you :) -unless you
are ANOTHER Trevor Phillips!-

Cheers!

Marcos R Carot Collins