[plug] Tape backup solution?

Keith Bawden keith at bawdo.com
Wed Aug 20 01:06:26 WST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 00:28, Bernd Felsche
<berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> "Keith Bawden" <keith at bawdo.com> wrote:
>>The draw back with backing up to hdd is that you will more often than
>>not leave the backup medium on site after each backup. In the even of
>>a fire or whatever you will loose everything...
>
> Perhaps even lose it.

Hmmm double tapped an "o" and left out a "t"  - sorry. My point was
that backing up to an external and removable device will allow you to
take it offsite. Most home users that bother to do this often get
"bored" with it and stop doing so after a few runs, or at least that
has been my experience . If you are going to take data offsite then
you might want to think about encrypting it before hand. If you have
the coin and or the desire you could elicit the services of a data
courier... I suspect for home use this is rare and costly.

Final point, whatever solution you come up with be sure to test your
ability to actually use the backup to recover from.

Regards, Keith