[plug] Tape backup solution?

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 20 13:03:23 WST 2008

Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au> wrote:

>> A viable alternative is external 500GB or 1TB HDD on USB.
>> They're between $100 and $200 each. Not quite as fast as LTO on
>> their own SCSI/Fibre interface, but not too bad on a good USB
>> controller. Do make sure that you blow away the FATs on the HDD
>> before you start.

>Many of these sorts of external drives have e-sata as std now, and
>they're still just as cheap.   So the backup/restore will be quicker
>than to/from tape.  I use the e-sata HDD solution and it works a-treat.

LTO3 writes at over 100 megabytes per second on U320 (LVD SCSI).
LTO4 is supposed to be even faster.

It's quicker than a single spindle 15 krpm SCSI drive can sustain
(80 to 90 megabytes/second).

eSATA is somewhat faster then USB.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Science is the belief in
 X   against HTML mail     | the ignorance of the experts.
/ \  and postings          |  -- Richard Feynman