[plug] Asus Eee PC 1000H

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 02:22:07 WST 2008

Hi Adam,

Your best bet to find the cheaper 80GB version of the EeePC 1000H is
to phone around to different officeworks stores. I'd even ask in the
1000H thread in the notebooks section of the whirlpool.net.au forums,
where it's reported that some OWs in Perth still have a little bit of
1000H 80GB stock at $599. The 160GB version is pretty much a rip off
at $750-800, but I've read reports of OW selling this 160GB version
for $650, which is a reasonable price. Phone around and ask about
stock levels. I got a 1000H for my wife from OW Osborne Park for $511
back when the 80GB versions were plentiful and JB was doing a 10% off
sale which OW beat by a further 5%.

The MSI Wind U100 is a good system, but if you get dead pixels you're
stuffed with dealing with the PC shop you bought it from and they
might try and tell you that you can't return it for dead pixels, which
fair trading disagrees with, but still it's a PITA. However, if
they'll fire it up for you to check before purchase then it's a fine
little PC on par with the 1000H in most areas, but you'll have to
check a few things: does it come with wireless N and bluetooth like
the 1000H, and is the one you're buying an old 3-cell battery model or
the current 6-cell battery model. I wouldn't touch a 3-cell system if
you want to use it for more than 2 hours without having to recharge
it.

As has already been mentioned, you can get the 901 XP version for $479
now, and that's a pretty good deal, but it's only an 8.9" screen and
the keyboard is a bit smaller (and it's a SSD netbook, so storage may
be an issue if a large number of gigabytes of files are to be kept on
it).

Whatever you do, avoid the 1000HD if you can - it's got the old
celeron m 900 in it, not the Atom 1.6. That said, it can be had for
about $500, if you go that route as a last resort.

Ari