[plug] firewall issue

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Tue Dec 9 10:01:34 WST 2008

I'm trying to open a port for imap and having a bitch of a time at it.

I have imap running from the following results:

# nmap -n -O -p 143 -sS 192.168.1.100

Starting Nmap 4.11 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2008-12-09 09:21 WST

Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not find at
least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port

Interesting ports on 192.168.1.100:

PORT    STATE SERVICE

143/tcp open  imap

MAC Address: 00:14:5E:2B:67:2A (IBM)

Device type: general purpose

Running: Novell NetWare 6.X

OS details: Novell NetWare 6 SP1

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.118 seconds

The issue is in the iptables firewall.  I'm having the following rules:

$IPT -A FORWARD -i $INT_IFACE -d 192.168.1.100 -p tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT

$IPT -A FORWARD -i $INT_IFACE -s 192.168.1.100 -p tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT

 I have these 2 rules in, do I need to add more rules in the INPUT and
OUTPUT chains?