[plug] no eth0, but drivers load...

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Wed Dec 17 11:51:15 WST 2008

Thank you to all for the help.

I grepped the files in /etc/udev for 'eth0',
and found the file in question to be rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules

it has the contents of :

# PCI device 0x14e4:0x167d (tg3)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:10:c6:dc:ca:24",
NAME="eth0"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1229 (e100)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:d0:59:c5:0e:65",
NAME="eth1"

# PCI device 0x8086:0x1229 (e100)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:d0:59:7f:8f:d2",
NAME="eth2"

So I adjusted the file accordingly.

 From other posts I tried:

$ sudo udevadm --trigger
$ sudo: udevadm: command not found

so, udevadm must either not be part of Debian, or I require another
package installed,
so I went with /etc/init.d/udev restart

udev reports it restarted, but I stayed on eth2.

So a reboot....

and back onto eth0 now :)

-Lucas