[plug] Re: Looking for help maintaining a linux domain server

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Sat Dec 20 09:24:19 WST 2008

Hi,

Taking into consideration Heather's explanation, regarding their linux
(or general computer) knowledge,
the steps may need to be explained a bit further, for example, 'how to
boot into run level 1'

Also, I think the original message is a bit vague:

'...

says it has problems with the hard drive

...'

Could this be expanded as to what the exact issue is? Possible the issue
does not require a new hard drive, but some simple hard drive
maintenance/checking?

I have an alternative, remote admin suggestion:

1. Connect a new hard drive as suggested by Leon
2. Download one of the Live linux cd's and boot from that, making sure
networking is enabled. (If Heather needs help on selecting which live cd
to use, and how to enable it's networking, I am sure we can help with that)
3. Configure router/connection to allow ssh access to the box (this may
be the most tricky part)
4. Someone can access the  box remotely and do the copy as suggested by
Leon, as the main hd will not be in play.

I have not tried this method before, but of the top of my head, it
sounds viable....
This may not work, and I welcome coments as to why, or how it can be
done remotely.

-Lucas