[plug] Long-winded dev names

Bernd Felsche berfel at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 28 22:32:54 WST 2008

Jim Householder <nofixed at westnet.com.au> wrote:

>The following line is extracted from Rob Dunne's  "file not found at
>start of boot sequence" message

>root=UUID=1b672a8f-71a1-4d38-86a4-c4d43fb859f9 ro single

>It appears that he is using SUSE or a derivative.

>Can anyone tell me what the advantage or benefit is obtained by using
>such a long-winded device name?

It's a unique device ID.

In theory, it means that you can shuffle the discs around
willy-nilly and everything will still mount properly.
In practice, you sometimes get the above; especially across kernel
versions and drivers.

Myself, I prefer volume names. Volume names can also be copied when
you replace dodgy HDD.

Recovery from the UUID is to boot into rescue mode from CD/DVD,
figure out which is the root partition (e.g. /dev/sda5), and set
that at boot-time.

HTH
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Second to agriculture, humbug is the
 X   against HTML mail     | biggest industry of our age.
/ \  and postings          |   -- Alfred Nobel