[plug] Running ubuntu 8.10 in virtualbox - guest additions

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Tue Dec 30 23:26:07 WST 2008

The system running virtualbox is SuSE 10.2, virtualbox is InnoTek VirtualBox
1.5.6.

The instance I try to run is Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04. Both start OK, but I can't
get the guest additions running, and this is needed for 'shared folders'.

There appear two ways to use the guest additions, either the one provided by
the installation of ubuntu (virtualbox-ose-guest-utils 2.0.4) or the one
which is provided by the SuSE host (virtualbox.iso) and mounted as a cd.

The installation of virtualbox-ose-guest-utils 2.0.4 using synaptic packet
manager fails with FATAL: Error inserting vboxadd ...
* can not modprobe vboxadd kernal module

So I tried to use the one from the vbox host, where I get
In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/cmc.c:17:
error: asm/semaphore.h - no such file or directory

I have other Linux instances running OK with the guest additions from the
host, it is just ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10 where I have this problem.

What do I overlook or not understand?

Thanks for any help

Peter