[plug] Running ubuntu 8.10 in virtualbox - guest additions

Peter Sutter sutterp at sopac.com.au
Wed Dec 31 12:11:28 WST 2008

Thanks, Daniel.

All the suggested modules are installed. If I understand the guest additions
of virtualbox correctly, these provide a series of modules for the kernel,
therefore kernel sources and guest sources as well as the header files of the
kernel need to be installed. When the modules are installed, these get
actually compiled into the kernel. I is at this  compilation stage where the
installation process fails.

modprobe vboxadd does not find a module, because the compile failed and
vboxadd did not get created.

Both methods (using guest additions from the host and from the local instance
fail exactly on the same spot).

Regards

Peter

On Wednesday 31 December 2008 09:53, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Peter Sutter <sutterp at sopac.com.au> writes:
> > The system running virtualbox is SuSE 10.2, virtualbox is InnoTek
> > VirtualBox 1.5.6.
> >
> > The instance I try to run is Ubuntu 8.10 and 8.04. Both start OK, but
> > I can't get the guest additions running, and this is needed for
> > 'shared folders'.
> >
> > There appear two ways to use the guest additions, either the one
> > provided by the installation of ubuntu (virtualbox-ose-guest-utils
> > 2.0.4) or the one which is provided by the SuSE host (virtualbox.iso)
> > and mounted as a cd.
> >
> > The installation of virtualbox-ose-guest-utils 2.0.4 using synaptic
> > packet manager fails with FATAL: Error inserting vboxadd ...
> > * can not modprobe vboxadd kernal module
>
> That suggests that you need some sort of set of kernel modules; my guess
> would be the 'virtualbox-ose-guest-source' together with
> 'module-assistant' would give you what you need.
This is installed

> > So I tried to use the one from the vbox host, where I get
> > In file included from /tmp/vbox.0/cmc.c:17:
> > error: asm/semaphore.h - no such file or directory
>
> You need the kernel headers from your running kernel installed for it to
> build correctly.  That is easy, thankfully:
>
>     sudo aptitude install linux-headers-`uname -r`
This is installed too