[plug] Apache Reverse Proxy troubleshooting

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Sun Feb 17 00:04:23 WST 2008

I've got a small apache problem I need a little help with.  I'm trying
to reverse proxy from a public facing apache 2.0.54 (debian sarge
package) to an internal apache 2.2 on etch.

The proxying is working except that the Host HTTP header the proxy is
sending the internal server is being set to the ip address of the
internal server, rather than the host name being requested by the
client.  This results in the internal server serving up the default
virtual host, rather than the site requested.

Public proxy virtual host config all looks good to me, but obviously
something is dodgy. I've got reverse proxying going to several plone
sites and they work fine, but plone has a special setup for handling
proxy sites such that they don't rely on the Host HTTP header.

Virtual host config on the reverese proxy (with host names/IP's changed
to protect the guilty):
 <VirtualHost *>
 ServerName site.mydomain.com.au
 ProxyRequests Off