[plug] email with from and to the same

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:49:16 WST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 09:53 +0800, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> Client started getting emails with the same addresses in the From and To
> addresses.  Upon further discovery can see these are not valid as they are
> coming from other sources.  Is there anything that can be done or setup in
> Postfix to prevent these e-mails from coming in to the users mailbox?

Sorry, Jon I'm not going to answer your technical needs directly but to
respond to the scenario you describe. I often have occasion to generate
mails exactly like your friend has, ie, from me to me. This is just good
netiquette when sending to a largish group of recipients - put all the
recipients in the BCC to have only one recipient showing in the TO box
instead of a huge list at the head of the email that may breach
someone's privacy. Perfectly normal by itself, but I guess it could be
malicious in some instances.

Gavin.