[plug] scp

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Mon Feb 25 16:28:18 WST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 10:29 +0900, Richard Meyer wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 10:14 +0900, rennie wrote:
> > Why would ...
> >
> > # scp -pr -P 13713 /home/rennie/ root at 10.1.1.8:/home/LaptopBackup
> >
> > ... create +100GB on from c.a. 10GB of data?
> >
> > Have I missed some thing?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rennie
> > ________
>
> Copying a sparse file, maybe? Reference -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_files

I think it IS sparse files - see
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=114579 where they say

> Standard copy routines (and scp and tar) are not an option, as they
> will
> expand the
> file by a factor of more than 1000 from a little over 1MB to over 1GB.
> Ive
> thought
> of dump/restore (which doesnt seem to exist for Linux), and rdist, but
> both
> seem
> more complicated to setup than this problem deserves).

And some one here
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/openbsd-misc/2007/11/11/403793 says

> if I'm not completely wrong, you could always tar -czf the sparse file, scp the
> archive and then tar -xzf the file in place in the other side. this should also
> create a new sparse file. of course, you lose the rsyncabilty and you have to
> identify your sparse file in advance. But 16GB of nothing should compress
> very well  ;)

HTH
--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629