[plug] strange network activity?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 1 12:46:25 WST 2008

you dont say what operating systems each has.

Try iftop, iptraf, wireshark and etherape

etherape may be particularly applicable in this case, with wireshark to
provide more detailed view.

I use iftop for a quick look, and iptraf for more detail - these run in
a console with an ncurses gui.  You can turn port information and dns
lookups on/off to see what is really happening.

You have a few networks showing - perhaps a quick sketch of the
network(s) layout may help to see whats happening (do the others
exist?).

BillK

On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 13:18 +1100, Rob Dunne wrote:
> Hi Pluggers,
>
> I have a lot of strange activity on a newly set up machine on my home
> network. I installed jnettop and had a look at it.
>
> the machine is 192.168.1.102, 192.168.1.100 is anther machine on the
> network, and iConnectAccess621 is the modem, But
> what are all the others? How can i find what is being transferred?
>
> 192.168.176.230 <-> 192.168.1.102
> 192.168.176.72 <-> 192.168.1.102
> 192.168.175.202 <-> 192.168.1.102
> 192.168.176.12 <-> 192.168.1.102