[plug] gigabit lan

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 8 19:18:46 WST 2008

Adrian Chadd <adrian at creative.net.au> wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 08, 2008, Kev wrote:

>> I've just replaced 2 x 10/100 8 port switches (daisy chained) in our
>> home p2p network with 1 x 16 port gigabit switch.  Most (but not all) of
>> our home machines have gb nics on motherboard, including the 2 right
>> here on my desk.  One has a Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>> with the skge driver installed and the other has an Nvidia CK8S Ethernet
>> Controller with the forcedeth driver installed.  These are the default
>> drivers installed by Xandros.

>> I use only Samba on the network because there is a mix of Windoze and
>> Linux machines at home and thus far (the last 3(ish) years) Samba has
>> run flawlessly.  Even now Samba seems to be running OK.

>> The problem:  There appears to be no improvement in network speeds - no
>> change at all.  Copying files between these 2 machines I have in front
>> of me happens at about 3.6Mbytes/sec according to gkrellm.  I'm using
>> good condition bought, moulded cat5E cables, each 2m long.  Only the
>> switch between them.

>The first thing to do is grab iperf and read up about it.

The _first_ thing is to use any blinkenlights to confirm that your
cables are running at gigabit speeds.

Lights on the switches and NIC often have LED that indicate by
colour/speed the nature of the actual connection.

No point of trying to find a bottleneck in the machine if the wiring
isn't up to it, or the NIC hasn't sensed the ability to work at the
higher speed.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | Great minds discuss ideas;
 X   against HTML mail     | Average minds discuss events;
/ \  and postings          | Small minds discuss people. -- Eleanor Roosevelt