[plug] Query about passwords

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 25 02:34:06 WST 2008

Hello.

Some time ago, I changed the root password on my laptop, when I took the
computer to a workshop, to get some problems fixed.

I have since, not been able to remember the root password, and cannot
log in as root, to do necessary system maintenance.

So, I cannot do things like FTP across our LAN, as /etc/hosts does not
include most of the nodes, and I cannot update /etc/hosts.

Is it possible to somehow access the previous root password that I used?
That one, I remember.

Or, do I need to rebuild the system; reinstall it all over again?

If I have to reinstall it all over again, as the computer dual boots
with MS Windows XP, can I reinstall the Linux, only, or would I need to
reinstall Linux, and then reinstall Windows XP?

The Linux is Debian stable (etch ?), having upgraded (?) from sarge (not
a clean install of Debian 4.0, but an upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0).

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale