[plug] upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 ubuntu

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Jul 1 15:48:17 WST 2008

Keith Bawden wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 18:43, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>> Rob Dunne <rob.dunne at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I was trying to use the update-manager to upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04
>
> I'm not an Ubuntu user but that seems like a big jump to be making...

It is, but it's supported. LTS to LTS is a well supported upgrade path.

> I have in the past done a few dist-upgrades (I suspect this is similar
> to what Ubuntu is doing) and have been _lucky_ to always have a
> working system in the end. However, I have only gone "up" by small
> steps. This has been the same when moving from one Gentoo profile to
> the next.

I've never really experienced an issue with Debian based Distros here. I've got a couple of machines
that are current and have not be re-installed in well over 10 years. Each upgrade just seems to work
pretty cleanly.

> So for me the moral of the story has been to take small steps when
> doing "whole" distro upgrades and keep a good (as in tested and
> current) backup on hand.

Agree completely with the backup part.

I did 6.06 to 8.04 on my Laptop just after 8.04 was released and despite having numerous hacky
updates and bodged packages on the machine it "just worked". I did take full backups prior to the
upgrade just in case, but never needed them.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them