[plug] upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 ubuntu

Keith Bawden keith at bawdo.com
Tue Jul 1 17:58:59 WST 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 17:09, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> writes:
>> Keith Bawden wrote:

>>> I'm not an Ubuntu user but that seems like a big jump to be making...
>>
>> It is, but it's supported. LTS to LTS is a well supported upgrade
>> path.
>
> It isn't, really.  That is a smaller distance than Debian/oldstable to
> Debian/stable, for instance, or from RHEL4 to RHEL5.  Just sayin'.

I've never actually done a RedHat upgrade, and did not know their even
was a dist-upgrade type of thing... Then again I've only ever used
RHEL in production and have never done a dist-upgrade on an in
production Debian host, and don't think I ever will.

As for the distance from 6.x to 8.x I would have thought it was
further than a change from 4.x to 5.x, but then again 2 + 2 = 5 with
really big values of 2 [1] ;-)

Regards, Keith

[1] Saw that one on some blokes sig block recently.