[plug] error log help

Ryan King communist.goatherder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:54:55 WST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
wrote:

>  I'm looking for a way of finding out why a particular process stopped
> yesterday.  I've searched through all sorts of logs ( the process log,
> syslog and messages)  and can see nothing.  Does anyone know where I can
> look to find out about certain processes either failed or when they went
> into a zombie state?

Hi Jon,

That really depends on the process.  Not all applications log messages using
the standard syslog and then not all applications log ;)

If it was just some random program that does no logging of its own, then you
aren't going to know if it had problems unless you have something else
monitoring it (process accounting?  strace?  etc...)

Ryan