[plug] EEPC

Fred Janon fjanon at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 18:04:18 WST 2008

Interesting 3G options coming soon...

Later this year, Asustek will offer a version of its Eee PC
mini-laptops with built-in 3G (third generation mobile
telecommunications) to compete with rivals that are doing the same, a
company representative said.The devices could be out as early as the end of September in Europe.A
few Taiwanese companies are planning to add 3G wireless connectivity to
their laptops, and at least one already has. Elitegroup Computer
Systems (ECS) has already signed up wireless service providers in
Europe to distribute its G10IL mini-netbook, which should be in stores
by September or October.The devices come with internal 3G
modules for HSDPA and HSUPA (High Speed Downlink/Uplink Packet Access).
Current mini-laptop owners can go to service providers and get 3G
cards, along with a wireless plan, to use the networks any time. The
Eee PCs and other mini-notebooks with 3G built-in will likely be
bundled with 3G contracts from a service provider, which could lower
their initial hardware cost. Mobile service providers often subsidize a
portion of the cost of handsets and other devices and make the money
back over the life of the 3G contract. The representative said prices of Eee PCs with built in 3G would vary depending on service contracts.The latest Eee PC models, the 901, 1000 and 1000H cost between US$550-$660 in Taiwan.