[plug] DVD and IDE problem fixer for new mobos

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:28:55 WST 2008

G'day all, been a while.

I thought I'd post a solution to a problem that's been bugging me for months. My DVDs are hardly ever playing right, taking ages to even start and often dying mid-way through a film. My motherboard is a newer one designed for SATA that has two IDE ports added on that double as RAID controllers, sound familiar to anyone?

Well if you have one of these mobos and are having a smeg of a time with your DVD drive, head into BIOS and turn off "IDE Prefetch Mode", and suddenly things will start behaving themselves again! This option is meant to have a performance increase when turned on, but I've found it be about as stable as a grandma on Red Bull and prune juice, so experiment if you can.

Ta!

"...it was brilliant, there was three up against a thousand, and boy, did we give those three heaps!"