VIA motherboards, was Re: [plug] DVD and IDE problem fixer for new mobos

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 20:38:19 WST 2008

> John Knight wrote:
> > My mobo is the ever so catchy named WinFast K8M890M2MA. If it aint
> > broke, don't fix it, but with new kernels from the last few months,
> > these features are actually starting to be used but not always good
> > results. I'd say it's not just my mobo.
>
> There are many motherboards, but few chipsets.
> That one is a VIA.
> Isn't that considered a bad idea for linux?

What, using VIA you mean? Not really. Since I've disabled it though, I've *finally* got a system that feels the way that it used to. Divxing on one desktop, compiling on another, Firefox on desktop two and Amarok pounding away on desktop one - all without crashing! All hail excessive computing! :D

Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT