[plug] The end of Reiserfs as we know it.

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Wed Jul 9 15:12:42 WST 2008

Senectus . wrote:
> Because it's open source, if it has any real value it will live on.
>
> if bits of it have any real value they'll find themselves migrated over
> to another FS.

In a perfectly sensible world, perhaps. While big business often does
inane things for predictable reasons like the bottom dollar, inane open
source activity can be for much less predictable reasons. e.g. A cult of
personality can keep a project going so strongly that the loss of that
person can be such a shock, that the time it takes everyone to recover
and actually consider the project again, is long enough that the
technology has been left behind. Whew that was a long and somewhat
broken sentence, and that's only one possible inane reason, of many.

I think there's definitely merit in the quality ==> survival concept,
but I also reckon that sillyness and unexplainability sometimes trump
it. Note that the above long sentence doesn't necessarily tell the story
of Reiser because I don't really know much of the details and I'm not
even subscribed to their mailing list. It might be relevant though.

Greg.