[plug] uploading large files

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Tue Jul 15 08:19:11 WST 2008

On 15/07/2008, at 7:10 AM, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> Got a client that wants to send me a large file (80MB) from the US
> and her
> ISP has restriction on file sizes that can be e-mailed as
> attachments.  I
> was thinking along the line of one of the free upload file sharing
> sites,
> but do not want to trust the  file to that.  I also could have her
> send it
> to one of my servers via ftp, but have not set that up due to security
> reasons.  I would imagine it would be better to do the former and then
> turn the service off.
> Are there any other choices?  She is sending a file from a Mac
> Notebook.

scp is built-in on Macs.  Terminal.app is hidden away under
Applications, Utilities.  Then set up an account for her on your
server and get her to type scp filename username at yourserver.fqdn:
(including the colon).

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor